Sunday, February 8, 2009

Homesick Comfort Food

Homesick Comfort Food!

I felt a bit homesick yesterday and made some Gon Lou noodles... it's what grandma or mom used to make for me. Gon Lou is Cantonese or "dry mixing" or "dry stirring" a very popular way of preparing noodles. It's similar to ramen or Pho but with egg noodles and without the broth. A simple dish to prepare and easy to eat, you won't burn your mouth on the soup. Hence it's a dish served to a lot of children. :)

This is about a 5min meal.
Boil water, toss in noodles, let boil for 2-3 mins (I like them slightly Al-Dente)
While noodle is still boiling, toss veggies for about 1 min. I like to flash cook the veggies so they won't overcook. This way they retain their color, crunch and nutrients. My faves to use are Gai-Lan, Bak Choy, Napa Cabbage or Broccoli.
Drain noodles and veggies, toss in sesame oil and Hoisin sauce (or soy sauce)... shred in some chicken or tofu and eat! I always have boiled chicken in the fridge for a quick meal.

I imagine this as the Chinese pizza... you can't go wrong. Put in your favorite veggie and meat or non-meat product. The noodle is like the pizza dough and the ingredients are like the toppings! ^_^

More info on Lo Mein (mixed noodles)

No comments: