Monday, January 16, 2012

Hibernating For The Winter

2011 was a crazy busy year with moving and remodeling, but we're really happy with our new home.  I felt really overwhelmed for most of the year and a lot of projects got put on the back burner.  Now that it's winter and things are slow I feel I can take some time off to recoup.  I'm hoping the Year of the Dragon will be a little less hectic.


Kitchen Nook
Kitchen nook:
I like to propagate cuttings for the Spring in case my plants don't make it through the winter.  I also started some tea plants (Camellia sinensis) that are too small to leave in the cold.  So here it is, our kitchen nook turned into a temporary greenhouse for a few months.  Luckily it's a very bright corner and I don't mind giving up this space to have some greenery through the grey winter.

Bursting
Paperwhites bursting through.
I've never forced bulbs before... it's quite addictive!  They grow so quickly.  I'm hoping these will bloom in time for the Lunar New Year.  This picture was taken a few days ago and now as I type the flower buds have already made it through.  Paperwhite is a Narcissus (daffodil) and a symbol of good luck and prosperity.  It's a tradition to have them blooming in your home during Chinese New Year... or as I'd like to call it, "The Real New Year".  :P

No comments: